Saturday, April 26, 2008

Blue Jay's Picks, Woad and Japanese Indigo

I finally ordered the Woad and Japanese Indigo from Sand Mountain Herbs. They should be here next week. They both yield blue dye,

Blue Jay mentioned the blue color when she saw the Sand Mountain Herbs web site with the Woad seeds page up. Also on the page was the warning that the Woad seeds could not be shipped to Montana, California, Washington state, Utah or Oregon,. Colorado is in the clear.

I also purchased potting soil and additional peat pots. Lucy and I labeled Popsicle sticks to Identify the plants. We even included the height of the grown plants. Blue Jay was not to enthused with this part of the project.

The Woad will grow to be about two feet high. But the Indigo description didn’t include an estimated height. We’ll be arranging the plants with the taller ones toward the back of the flower beds.

I’ve been waiting for some less windy weather, and at a time when Pi Guy aren’t riding, and Blue Jay isn’t doing home school work. That day might come tomorrow. I also need to check to see if there are any other seeds that I need to purchase, and what collection hikes we might go on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the updated photo of Blue Jay with the bird next to her...appropriate!
Lucy

Anonymous said...

I do,too!Especialy the Cardinal!